Sure, the 4th of July, a.k.a. the holiday we all spend in our swimsuits, may be behind us, but there’s still plenty of summer ahead. Which made us ask ourselves: have we found our favorite summer swimsuit yet?
The answer is no. The truth is, we’re always on the hunt for a swimsuit that will fit us perfectly in all the right places, while still being cute and comfortable, with little chance of slippage when we’re playing beach volleyball or diving head-first onto our white swan pool float. And since we make a vaillant effort to live in a swimsuit during the summer every minute we’re not at our 9-to-5, we need plenty of options on hand. We’ve been on the hunt, and have rounded up some of our favs below.
THE CLASSIC BIKINI
1. What’s to love about today’s version of the bikini is all the different styles. Small triangles of fabric tied together with tiny strings is no longer the only option. Take this black one-shoulder scalloped bikini by Marysia, for instance. Throw on a wide-brimmed sun hat (like this one, on sale) and a berry-tinted lip balm (with SPF!) and trot yourself down to the pool. How much chicer can you get?
2. This red, floral embroidered bikini by Zimmerman is some kinda sexy and would be perfect for an afternoon poolside or on a boat sipping champagne with your love. The devil is in the details with its rose embroidery and cut-out stitching on the top.
3. How fun and flirty is this one-shoulder ruffled top set by Lisa Marie Fernandez? We love its navy color with the white contrast underneath the ruffle. Twist your hair up in a bun and let the top take its dramatic effect.
THE COLORFUL BIKINI
2. Leandra Madine, the blogger behind Man Repeller, loves this off-the-shoulder Lisa Marie Fernandez style so much that the designer named it “the Leandra.” Take a style cue from Madine who never takes herself too seriously and opt for this playful plaid two-piece, also in other colors here and here (on sale!).
3. This Heidi Klein number is feminine and flirty, with a flattering bandeau top lined with boning and knotted in the center. The bottoms sport matching ties on the sides. The straps are removable so no need to worry about a tan line. We love it with this black straw hat and these sandals.
4. Nothing makes you look like you’re headed to your summer house on the coast of Italy like a Missoni Mare swimsuit. Fake it ’till you make it, right?
5. We love this blue, white and yellow mosaic print Dolce and Gabbana bikini (on sale!). Its balconette top is flattering on any size. It also comes in different styles here, here, here and here.
THE RETRO SWIMSUIT
1. It-girls like T-Swift and Gigi Hadid made this retro swimsuit style cool again and we don’t hate it. Something about this style instantly adds a glamorous touch to your pool or la plage look. We picture ourselves wearing this Dolce and Gabanna top and bottom (both on sale) on our *fictitious* upcoming vacay in the French Riviera.
2. This navy plunge one-piece by Vix features a plunge front and crosses in the back. It’s a classicly chic retro style with the high waist and wider straps. We’ll definitely be adding this one to our collection.
3. Another adorable yellow suit by Marysia, this time in a retro inspired cut and floral pattern with the designer’s signature scalloped edges.
4. How adorable is this red and white gingham suit by Solid and Striped? Its business in the front, party in the back with its classic front style and plunging low back. Can’t you picture yourself wearing it on a sailboat with a pair of cutoff denim shorts and these Illesteva sunglasses??? We can. Also find it here, here and here (in black).
5. You can’t go wrong with this black halter-neck top and high waisted bottom set by Norma Kamali. The ruching on the bottoms will flatter any figure. Pair it with this adorable statement hat and you’ll be the most stylish one on the beach.
6. This Dolce and Gabanna one-piece features the designer’s signature floral print from the Spring ’16 collection. Its bodice shape gives it a retro twist, and it comes with removable straps for support.
THE UPDATED ONE-PIECE
1. We cannot get enough of the one-piece. Props to whoever brought it back in style. This one by Zimmerman is whimsical and feminine and makes us want to wear it while lounging by an infinity pool with rosé in hand. You can also find it here and, in case you haven’t hopped back on the one-piece bandwagon, a bikini version here.
2. Brown isn’t exactly a popular swimsuit color but we’re all about neutrals lately and this one by Marysia would look incredible against a backdrop of sand.
3. The soft pink in this one-piece by Solid and Striped is ballerina-esque and the cream and black color blocking makes it interestingly chic, adding just enough edge.
4. Snake print, double strap, one-shoulder Melissa Odabash swimsuit, 70% off. Enough said. (More sizes here.)
5. Swimwear line Onia collaborated with Danielle Bernstein this spring to create a capsule collection of edgy swimsuits in neutral colors. This nude one-piece from the collection is just that, with a lace-up front and low-scooped back. (Also in black here.)
6. This suit by Zimmerman is colorblocked with lavendar, tan and brown to slim the waist and enhance your curves. Plus it would look amazing with a tan. Just don’t forget the sunscreen! (More sizes here, here and in a two-piece version here.)
Shop more of our favorite swimwear below!